What is Digital Asset Management?
What does the DAM abbreviation stand for, you may wonder?
You are on the right page to learn the answer
DAM stands for Digital Asset Management: a type of software designed to store, edit, manage and share your digital assets efficiently. Whether installed on your computer, laptop or a dedicated server (so-called on-premise DAM) or based in the private or shared cloud and accessible via a browser, the goal of any Digital Asset Management solution is to simplify the way you and your business organize digital assets.
What is a digital asset?
Basically, digital assets can be any digital file that you create on your computer — whether it is a text file (in the file formats like .doc, .docx, .txt, .pdf), an image (.png, jpg, .jpeg, .tiff), a video (.mp4, .avi, .mov), or an audio file (.mp3, .wav) — you name it. So if you need to organize your digital assets, tag them with metadata, filter and store files in one single place — that’s what a DAM system usually does (and much more).
Benefits of Digital Asset Management may seem not so obvious to an inexperienced content manager. “Why would I need a Digital Asset Management in place, if I have Dropbox or Google Drive?” you may ask. The trick is — a Digital Asset Management system is a tool with smart features and functions that go far beyond storing your files.
What can a good Digital Asset Management system do for you?
- Store files safely. Even if we speak about millions of assets, they should be stored securely and confidentially.
- Easy and fast access to all your files. This is where a good DAM excels and cloud services like Dropbox and Google Drive struggle. By using extensive search and filter options, rich metadata and a visual interface with thumbnails and previews, a DAM should let you find your files within seconds.
- Create and edit files. This concerns mainly design files. Through integration with, let’s say, Adobe Creative Cloud, a typical Digital Asset Management solution allows to create, edit and manage files with simultaneous access and automated versioning right in the DAM user interface — without switching to the Finder or Explorer on your computer or laptop.
- Collaborate on your files. Ask for approval on your assets and leave comments directly in the DAM.
- Sharing of your files. DAM gives you the possibility to easily share your files, also with the external users outside of your DAM.
- Make your assets available in a branded portal. An intuitive interface with your own look-and-feel where people can download your public assets.
What can Swivle do for you?
All the functions mentioned above, plus an unbeatable advantage: Swivle is a cloud-based SaaS solution. What does that mean?
- Swivle is deployed as a Software as a Service, so it’s easy to activate without the need to buy any software or hardware — quick start!
- Swivle is intuitive, so you don’t have to ‘train’ your team to use it
- Swivle features full integration with Adobe InDesign, so you can do all your design work in the browser, saving time on uploading and downloading files
- Swivle offers unlimited storage so you don’t have to worry about how much storage you are using!
- Swivle is considerably more affordable than a typical DAM system, so your investments will return within the first months of use